This was K’s favorite brekkie of the trip to date.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 long green chiles halved, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 large succulent tomatoes peeled and finely chopped
- 1 onion (white or yellow), chopped finely
- 4 large eggs slightly whisked
- pinch salt and pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Warm up the frying pan and transfer the olive oil to heat up. Add chiles and cook until they start softening (about 3 min). Stir frequently to prevent burning. Sir in the grated tomatoes (make sure you find the ripest, most fab tomatoes the season allows) and let simmer for about 5 min, or until most of the moisture evaporates. However, do not allow the tomatoes to dry out completely – you want some of that tomato moisture in your menemen.
- Eventually fold in eggs. Scramble gently: your menemen will be done in 2 minutes. You don’t want to overcook it to get dry crumbles: be proud to serve the still rather liquid utterly delicious Turkish scrambled eggs.